Park

Alfred Krupp had very specific ideas concerning the planning of the extensive Hügel Park: He wanted “a forest of trees”, which he would be able to “enjoy before his death”. He had fully grown indigenous trees transported to the Villa. He is supposed to have transplanted an entire avenue of elms and numerous trees older than 100 years. And Alfred Krupp reached his goal: By 1883 the Villa was surrounded by a dense forest.

Friedrich Alfred and Margarethe Krupp extended the park after 1888, had greenhouses and hothouses erected and planted rare exotic plants. The upper terrace garden was given a more ornamental decoration. Around 1900 the two sphinxes in front of the house were put in place.

Today’s appearance of the Hügel Park in the style of an English garden dates back to the company’s 150th anniversary in 1961.